Change language   

Starting sex work

When can you start?

Prostitution is a legal profession in The Netherlands. It is important that it is your own choice of course. You are allowed to work as a sex worker if:

  • you are 18 years old or over;
  • you have a legal resident’s permit (no tourist visa);
  • you are not forced by others to do this work;
  • you work at a licensed workplace.

What do you need?

A registration is needed. You can be registered at the town register office (Gemeentelijke Basis Administratie, GBA). The personal details of everybody who lives or lived in The Netherlands are registered here. Your address can be your home address or the address of a close friend. Note: you do need this person’s permission.

National Identity Number
Your national identity number (Dutch:BSN) is a unique number which is linked to your personal details. It is a unique personal number for everyone who is registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database. As soon as you have registered at the town register office (GBA), you will receive your national identity number.

Please note: having a national identity number does not automatically mean that you will have to pay tax. For this you should register at the tax authorities (Dutch: Belastingdienst).

As you want to know the score and have peace of mind

Easy and fast HIV test, anonymous: Municipal Health Service Amsterdam temporarily offers HIV self-test service, check: www.time2test.nl. An easy-to-take test, without blood involved. Results after 20 minutes.


English quote